Monday, 1 April 2013

Hexies

Last week we went to Queensland for a family wedding.  The week prior to our departure was absolute chaos.  This old gadabout was out and about pretty much every day so things simply had to be put aside.

So what has that got to do with hexies you ask?  Well I was packing the afternoon prior to us leaving, and horror of horrors, no take along project to pack!  Now I never leave home without some hand sewing to do, so at the last minute, I grabbed some 3/4" hexagon papers and a couple of fat quarters to work on.  At the time, I had no idea what I would do with them.  I just figured that if I made a few, I would work out how to use them.

So here is what I managed to do while we were away.  Not much really, but we didn't have much time at home.


The fabrics are all from my stash.  The floral print at the top I bought at the National Quilt Championships, in Surrey in June 2011.  The other floral came in a pack of about 4 coordinating fabrics from Country by Design, Mosman (now closed unfortunately) about 1995, and the blue floral I have had since forever in my stash.  Pleased as punch that I am using it all.

I managed to coerce my beloved to stop at a quilt shop on Saturday.  The first one I tried was shut as it was Easter Saturday, but the second one was open.  It was an absolute Aladdin's Cave!   Bran's Fabrics in Warana is housed in a warehouse in an industrial area, there were bolts and bolts of fabrics.  Fat quarters, ends of rolls, precuts & notions.  Quite a lot of dress fabrics too.  I bought a piece of soft grey tone on tone, and I think I will applique the hexagon rosettes onto this as background.  My thinking at the moment is that I will make a 9 patch of hexies, and use that as a medallion centre.  

Big dilemma now is do I sash the 9 patch or not.  Will have to play with the fabrics to see how things pan out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog