Saturday, 23 March 2013

Leaders & Enders Mark II

A week or so back, I promised some more info and photos on the L&E project on which I was currently working, and here it is.

It began with a pile of half square triangles I found in the cupboard at Stitching Hearts.  Obviously donated at some point in time to the group by someone who'd had enough or triangles.  There was such a pile, that I thought it would be a crying shame to toss them, and figured it would make a great L&E project.  Besides a few of them had been pieced already.

Here are the triangles.  You can see that they are lovely country colours, matched with quilter's muslin.  The bag is now half empty as I have pieced quite a few of the HSTs by now.


And a pile of some I have pieced, waiting to be ironed & trimmed.



And here is the pile which has been trimmed, with squares ready to piece into a block. These half square triangles make up into a 3" square once they are trimmed.




Fortuitously, I had seen a photo of a variation of the block called Broken Dishes in Australian Patchwork & Quilting (sorry folks, but the photocopy I have of the page does not have the volume number it came from printed on it.)  I thought this would be a perfect fit for my HSTs

So I have made up a test block with a few of the completed HST units.  Here is the test block, and I have laid it on a piece of yardage which I am going to use to sash the block.  They will have corner stones as well (good stuff - a way to use some of my 2.5" squares!!)



This last photo shows you how I work with a L&E project.  My current piecing project is a Migrating Geese border, and there is no way you can chain piece this.  Lots of little pieces you have to put on one at a time.  So a pair of HSTs goes at the start of the seam which you can just see peeking out on the left of the yellow fabric, and another pair at the end. 

This is my bonus L&E project happening with no effort at all, in between the geese I am putting together.  Not only that, it saves an enormous amount of thread as you aren't pulling inches of thread through at the end of the seam.  The only downside in working this way is that you can't really match the thread to the fabric you are sewing.  Because I am working on bright yellow fabric for the Migrating Geese border I am using a bright yellow thread, and that is what the HSTs are being sewn with.  Such is life.  I find that unless you sew with black thread on white fabric, it doesn't really make much difference what colour thread you use.



What do you think?  A great way to use up the enormous bundle of HSTs I have found, and I am sure that someone will be over the moon to receive a quilt made up from these.  It will go back to Cabarita when its finished, and be distributed to one or other of the projects we sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog