Monday, 28 January 2013

Its Raining

"Its raining, its pouring, the old man is snoring"

How many people sang that as kids and then sang it to their own children?

It has rained non-stop now for at least 48 hours, and the forecast is not showing it stopping for another 12. And when I talk of rain I mean it is bucketing down, not showering or drizzling. As usual there is flooding in Northern NSW and in Queensland. What a land of contrasts! Last week there were bushfires everywhere, with evacuations and home loss due to that. This week it is floods, and more people being evacuated.

The rain is reminding me of school days in the rain. Walking to the bus stop and being drenched before you made it onto the bus. We had clear plastic covers for our hats. They may have covered the hats, but because the hats were wide brimmed, the plastic formed a conical shape on you head, and the rain just slid down the sides and all over you making you even wetter than ever. Plastic macs just flapped around your legs and dripped on your shoes. On the bus, the smell was quite memorable - wet plastic, and wet wool. Windows steamed over and everyone cold and cranky.

Getting to school wasn't much better. Hanging the macs and other wet things on the pegs outside the door onto the verandah. Shoes still soggy, no heating or means of drying off. Miserable. And then you would need to get from classroom to classroom. If you had to go to the canteen, that was another trek across the puddles in the playground.

At home it was better. Sitting dry in my room and watching the rain run down the window panes. The bleak day outside and I was warm and comfortable and dry. Until I had to go to the outside loo, which was at the end of the garden and down the path.  Having to bolt past the overhanging shrubbery & trailing vines, which my mother had planted in the vain hope that it would hide the atrocity in the garden. Days like this were jig saw days, or sitting at my desk writing to my pen pal, or doing homework.

These days, a rainy day is a good day to be holed up downstairs playing with fabric. And that is exactly what I have done today.  I have been designing a quilt for Aussie Heros, for a chap who wanted a black and yellow quilt. I have gathered all the black & yellow fabrics I have and have created a design which I hope will a) work, and b) appeal to him. Will take some photos to post as I begin constructing it.  It is both terrifying and exciting cutting into the fabric, planning the design and praying it all works out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog